Saturday, August 9, 2008

News Flash: John Edwards Isn't Special!

By now I'm sure we're all aware John Edwards, former Democratic presidential candidate, has admitted to having an affair with a former campaign staffer. Linked is one of the better stories I've read on the affair from ABC News. For those of you who'd like something a little juicier, check out Anncoulter.com this week.

So now that we know he had an affair and lied about it, he's asking that the media leave him alone. Fat chance of that! Let's take a minute to remember some recent sex scandals in the world of politics:

-Elliot Spitzer paid for sex and had to resign.

-Bill Clinton lied about his affair and was nearly impeached.

-Jim McGreevey admitted his affair with a man and had to resign.

-Mark Foley didn't touch anyone and still had a media firestorm over his instant messages to congressional pages.

There are consequences when politicians have affairs. The main difference in this instance is that Edwards *almost* got away with it. He got away with it for two whole years before he was stupid enough to visit this woman's hotel room and get photographed by the National Enquirer. It probably would have blown over except for media warriors like Ann Coulter. And now Edwards thinks the media fire surrounding his public admission of his affair is somehow not fair

Huh.

It seems pretty "fair" every time it happens to a republican. It seems pretty "fair" when it's a same-sex affair. Edwards, you're a national politician on a national stage. You were a top contender for Vice President and you went on record saying anyone who has an affair shouldn't be trusted as president. Were you lying? Look, buddy, this is what happens when you're a national figure who has an affair. It happens to every other guy who's done it, and now it's happening to you. The best way to handle this would be to hang low, not appear in public for a while, and let the news cycles run out without feeding them sound bites about how they're wrong for covering your infidelity.

It's a rite of passage. At least the media is still interested in you at all. I wish you and your family the absolute best of luck in this matter, but it would be a lot smother if you took it like a man, like everyone else. You made this bed, and you're gonna have to lie in it for a few news cycles. But don't worry. The Olympics will probably steal your thunder.

10 comments:

Dan said...

Bill Clinton was impeached. Impeachment simply means to officially bring charges against.

mickster said...

C&C,

I have read all the posts on Urban Conservative and yours are the best and most professional. Most of the posts are of insults flung like road rage drivers flipping the the bird. You are direct and to the point. Keep up the good work. You will get there one day.

Hot Topics: Russians arrive at the Olympics by tank.

and

Morderate Republicans keep claiming that they are the New Conservatives when the only thing they can be sure of is that they will be out of a job come November.

Conservative Cutie said...

aww, thank you! I like to think that since I'm, you know, going to college for creative non-fiction/new journalism I can at least hold my own blogging, haha. I feel like being well-informed helps one not resort to poo-flinging.

Tranesblues said...

Your blog name is misleading. Your not very good looking.

Anonymous said...

But remember: John Edwards didn't cheat when his wife was sick. That makes him special, didn't you know? It's only okay to cheat if your wife doesn't have cancer, apparently.

Vomit!

But you're right. He's nothing special. Remind me not to marry a politician. It seems to be a guarantee that they'll cheat.

The_Libertarian_Tree said...

I don't think it should matter what a political figure does in his personal life, so long as it isn't anything illegal. People make such a big deal out of these things. I'm not saying he was, but the people who liked Bill Clinton argue he was still a good president, isn't that what should matter?

Unknown said...

Hello. My name is Edgar and I'm an editor at OpposingViews.com, the debate website. Since we both cover American government, I thought I'd drop you a note. I would've e-mailed you but I couldn't find an address.
See, we're currently having a discussion about whether or not the U.S. is a Christian nation. You can see it here:
http://www.opposingviews.com/questions/is-the-us-a-christian-nation
Although vetted experts are the ones doing the debating, anyone can contribute by choosing a side and posting comments about the experts' arguments.
Check it out and, if you have the time, let me know what you think at eacosta@opposingviews.com
Thanks!

Red Dakini said...

Hi! My name is Christina and I'm a 24 year old student. I considered myself a liberal until my liberal feminist views got so far to the left that part of them ended up on the right. So I'm looking for other smart cute young women to open a dialog with on feminist (and other) issues. I'm interested to know how you feel about Sara Palin (a topic you have yet to touch). Please keep up the blog and let me know if this writing about conservative feminist thing interests you. I think girls like us need to redefine conservative feminism....

Unknown said...

Didn't you used to be a transman? what the hell happened to that? Now you're super conservative? I don't get it.

rightriot said...

Couldn't find a contact link: I'm with rightriot.com and we're wondering if you'd like to exchange links and get traffic from us. Join the site and promote your blog posts there and we'll send you traffic in return.

Also would you mind giving us a post to let your readership know about rightriot.com? We're rebuilding our userbase from a hacking attack and we need all the help we can get from other conservative net people. Thanks!